Saturday, February 19, 2005

So Far, So Good

There's something wonderful about having the day to yourself. I've worked the past five or more Saturday mornings and I opted to take today off. This means that I've already reached my 2000 word goal for today with time yet to write more. I am aiming at a total of roughly 50,000 words by the end of the month and I'm up to over 31K right now. I think I need to do 2068 a day to reach the desired target.

The downside of this is that I'm sure parts of it are the worst writing I've ever done, but that's okay. I won't edit or rewrite until I have finished the entire rough draft. My theory is that writing itself is to get the story out of my head and rewriting is to make it as marketable as possible. BUT, if you don't have the roughest rough draft to work with, there will be no rewrite at all. So I slog away to finish the manuscript and then I'll probably put it aside for a few weeks before I attempt to type it in and do the first rewrite and polish.

I find that writing longhand gives me freedom to write wherever I happen to be as long as I have my notebook and pen with me. This frees me from my computer, from relying on electricity (actually back in November we had a big snowstorm and were without power for 36 hours and I wrote by candlelight) and means I have no excuses not to write. I can take my notebook into my home office, close the door, shut out the kids and my granddaughter and work for two hours or so. I discovered I can write 1000 words an hour if I put my mind to it and my characters cooperate with me.

So here I am, with 9 days left to my deadline. Got to keep going!

No comments: